GreatLakesAccords.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cb7lx91
Cb7lx91

car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( Empty
PostSubject: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 2:11 am

alright so i was done with my 8hr shift about to go home. Hope into my cb and turn it on feeling pretty good cuz im going home then.......i turn on my headlight and car shuts off. Sad got some coworkers to help push start it. nothing. Called my buddy to bring some jumper cables and success. turn on my headlights and it turns of again. no stall or nothing just straight up cuts off. ok so round two turns on i was just going to go home with out headlight behind my dudes car. so jumped the car and it turned on stepped on the brake and FAIL again. Crying or Very sad idk what to do from them i checked everything. it just didnt make sense. So then i notice my temp gauge was a bit to high. We picked up some antifreeze poured some in and ta-da it turned on headlight turned on and car kept running.
So i got my car home and it will get topped off with anti freeze tomorrow morning.
My question is why or how in the world is the headlight being on and my car not having antifreeze related?
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 am

bad ground????

honestly im clueless. although this reminds me of this time. on my nissan altima i had. my fuse box melted. like the entire fusebox including all the fuses. =d check those next.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JoshuaPrince91
JDM CB7
regular
JDM CB7

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 am

Cb7lx91 wrote:
alright so i was done with my 8hr shift about to go home. Hope into my cb and turn it on feeling pretty good cuz im going home then.......i turn on my headlight and car shuts off. Sad got some coworkers to help push start it. nothing. Called my buddy to bring some jumper cables and success. turn on my headlights and it turns of again. no stall or nothing just straight up cuts off. ok so round two turns on i was just going to go home with out headlight behind my dudes car. so jumped the car and it turned on stepped on the brake and FAIL again. Crying or Very sad idk what to do from them i checked everything. it just didnt make sense. So then i notice my temp gauge was a bit to high. We picked up some antifreeze poured some in and ta-da it turned on headlight turned on and car kept running.
So i got my car home and it will get topped off with anti freeze tomorrow morning.
My question is why or how in the world is the headlight being on and my car not having antifreeze related?

it puts more work on the motor so when u turn the lights on the motor has to work more to keep the alternator spinning fast enough to keep the charge on the battery so when the motor work harder it gets hotter so needs to cool down by shutting off otherwise u will blow the motor u should always keep an eye on your gauges like u do with your gas gauge
Back to top Go down
Cb7lx91
Cb7lx91

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 am

makes sense. I usually do idk how i managed to miss that. lol i was not trying to leave my cat there in an empty parking lot.
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 am

Cb7lx91 wrote:
makes sense. I usually do idk how i managed to miss that. lol i was not trying to leave my cat there in an empty parking lot.

lol
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 5:36 am

how low was the antifreeze?
Back to top Go down
Cb7lx91
Cb7lx91

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 pm

This is kinda emberasing but the reservoir was bone dry Sad.
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Cb7lx91 wrote:

thats happened to me a couple times. lol
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Cb7lx91 wrote:

Ok the reservoir was bone dry, but how much was in the radiator? lol
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 3:53 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
Cb7lx91 wrote:

Ok the reservoir was bone dry, but how much was in the radiator? lol

yea exactly what im thinking lol for no reason should your radiator be dry. unless u have a leak somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Cb7lx91
Cb7lx91

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 4:56 am

so i was driving back from work and my car just shut of on me. Sad
had to tow it home could not find the problem.
heres some symptoms:
CEL is on
battery light is on.
tried jumping it but didnt work.
the car would crank without pushing the clutch in
car doesnt crank when i pushed the clutch in.
tried switching batterys. no luck.
i turn of the a/c switch and it cranked turned on then died in a few seconds.
can anyone lead me in the right direction. please.
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:19 am

U have a big mess buddy, And is almost impossible to diagnose over the internet. I would start by getting that code pulled and seeing what its telling you..

1. With the cel on and the battery light on, it could be possible the alternator is bad

2. With you pushing and turning on and off different things affecting starting, thats telling me your getting bare wires rubbing together somewhere.. check your alternator wiring and see if its torn, or 2 wires are rubbing together or just the overall condition.

3. Check your alternator belt tension. It should be pretty tight with about a half inch of slack when you push on it between the alternator and the crank.. If its loose, check belt condition and tighten up the slack....If its tight, Take your alternator off and go have it checked for free by an autozone or advance auto

Thats what I can think of for now..
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 3:24 pm

even if the alternator is bad, you can run a car. at least for a few minutes. and he swapped batteries so it should have started right up, then died a couple minutes later. plus i dont believe the alternator throws a code. mine went out before, on 2 occasions. and my girlfriends has went out on her car and never threw a cel. but did battery light. maybe a bad ground? im not sure how 5speeds work much. but if it has something to do with pushing in your clutch go to the source, and check out the transmission.

first things first tho pull the cel.

edit: check your timing belt. when my cam snapped i had the same thing happen. except i knew something was wrong cus smoke came out, since a peice of metal basically twisted in half. but if the belt broke, you might not have noticed. this would explain why it wont start, and this would explain the cel, and if i remember correctly, if your idle goes to low your battery light, and oil light will flicker on.
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 pm

The car runs soley off the alternator, not the battery. It only uses the battery to start the car up.
Back to top Go down
Cb7lx91
Cb7lx91

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Ok I'm going to check the cel code once I get home.
Would a bad although. Throw a cel?
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Cb7lx91 wrote:
Ok I'm going to check the cel code once I get home.
Would a bad although. Throw a cel?

A bad alternator might not specificially throw a code, but if you are shorted out somewhere, it could make something else throw a code.. one step at a time though, figure out the code and get back to us.
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
The car runs soley off the alternator, not the battery. It only uses the battery to start the car up.

yes correct, it does run off the alternator, but if the alternator is bad, it runs from the battery instead, the alternator take volts from the battery and places them back, if its bad it just passes straight threw the alternator and doesnt place the volts back correct?

when my alternator went out before, i actually was at work 30 minute drive on the interstate away. u know how i got home? i bought a brand new battery. placed it in, and my car drove all the way home, and died literally right in front of my driveway. when your alternator is bad, it drains the battery.

more than likely something shorted. have you replaced anything recently?
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 pm

xjoshx wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:

yes correct, it does run off the alternator, but if the alternator is bad, it runs from the battery instead, the alternator take volts from the battery and places them back, if its bad it just passes straight threw the alternator and doesnt place the volts back correct?

when my alternator went out before, i actually was at work 30 minute drive on the interstate away. u know how i got home? i bought a brand new battery. placed it in, and my car drove all the way home, and died literally right in front of my driveway. when your alternator is bad, it drains the battery.

The alternator only charges the battery, and powers every system in the vehicle while its running.. otherwise yes the electrical systems will feed off the battery when the car is not on or not receiving power from the alternator

The alternator is a one way street.. SENSES battery voltage when the car is running, and only outputs voltage back to the battery to charge it for the next start and sends the rest of the voltage to the electrical systems that may be running in the vehicle. If no accessory electrical systems are running in the car and the battery is charged, the alternator will have a very low output
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
xjoshx wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:

The alternator only charges the battery, and powers every system in the vehicle while its running.. otherwise yes the electrical systems will feed off the battery when the car is not on or not receiving power from the alternator

The alternator is a one way street.. SENSES battery voltage when the car is running, and only outputs voltage back to the battery to charge it for the next start and sends the rest of the voltage to the electrical systems that may be running in the vehicle. If no accessory electrical systems are running in the car and the battery is charged, the alternator will have a very low output

but it will still start and run. but not for long or very well at all, i did it for 30 minutes. wasnt fun. thought my car was gonna quit on the middle of the interstate.
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:44 pm

I really dont get what your trying to get at josh lol
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 11:13 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
I really dont get what your trying to get at josh lol

even without an alternator, if the battery is good, the car will start and run until the battery dies. because with a cheepo battery i drove 30 minutes home lol
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 11:39 pm

I still dont know how this correlates with his problem lol
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
I still dont know how this correlates with his problem lol

he said his car wont start.... he changed battery, still wont start. more than likely not the alternator unless something along the way shorted out.
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 11:54 pm

no he said his car doesnt start when he does certain things, it will start up but not stay running for long
Back to top Go down
Cb7lx91
Cb7lx91

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 am

car turns on now.
it sucks tho i paid 100 buck for the tow for something i could have fix yesterdya -___-

heres the culprit/
car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( IMG229

fixed
car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( IMG231

aftermath of towing Sad

car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( IMG232

car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( IMG233
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(   car wouldnt start after i got out of work :( Empty

Back to top Go down

car wouldnt start after i got out of work :(
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next