GreatLakesAccords.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bbsquad11

New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:16 am

SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:
I do plan on getting headwork done properly hopefully soon; possibly this week. I currently am waiting on my headgasket to come in since I did have a warrenty on it. I was told I should use copper spray on the headgasket this time. I would love to go to chicago and find all the good shops there, but I just recieve a whole lot of mandatory OT I got to do for the holidaes. But just curious again, do any of you guys have f22b1 harness they can laying around?

What did you put on your headgasket before? Because nothing should be put on the head gasket when it is installed.

I put on nothing but the headgasket itself. I was just told to spray coppper spray on the headgasket this time.
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:19 am

bbsquad11 wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:
I do plan on getting headwork done properly hopefully soon; possibly this week. I currently am waiting on my headgasket to come in since I did have a warrenty on it. I was told I should use copper spray on the headgasket this time. I would love to go to chicago and find all the good shops there, but I just recieve a whole lot of mandatory OT I got to do for the holidaes. But just curious again, do any of you guys have f22b1 harness they can laying around?

What did you put on your headgasket before? Because nothing should be put on the head gasket when it is installed.

I put on nothing but the headgasket itself. I was just told to spray coppper spray on the headgasket this time.

not to sound like a dick, but who told you that? ... head gaskets need to go on dry.. if you are having leaking problems then the head or your block probably has some warpage and needs to be resurfaced
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:22 am

SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:

not to sound like a dick, but who told you that? ... head gaskets need to go on dry.. if you are having leaking problems then the head or your block probably has some warpage and needs to be resurfaced

Yeah its okay, I was thinking same thing you said? Yeah someone told me that I can probably resurface the head as many times as I want, but I should take my block in and see if it needs to be resurface.
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:26 am

bbsquad11 wrote:
Yeah someone told me that I can probably resurface the head as many times as I want

wow hell no.. everything has a tolerance. you take too much material off the head and your pistons will slap the combustion chamber .. and that will only last a few seconds before a few rods are bent and your engine seizes up...
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:44 am

SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:
Yeah someone told me that I can probably resurface the head as many times as I want

wow hell no.. everything has a tolerance. you take too much material off the head and your pistons will slap the combustion chamber .. and that will only last a few seconds before a few rods are bent and your engine seizes up...

by the looks of everything; looks like I have alot to do.
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:31 pm

bbsquad11 wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:

better off finding a new head...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JoshuaPrince91
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 pm

xjoshx wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:

better off finding a new head...

Yeah most likely I will. Is there any kind of way I can figure out if my block is damage at all.. I know i should
always check the cyliner walls, but what else?
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I thought about something and now its kind of in my mind.... could my engine possibly be having a blow-by affect on it..
i read some symptons and it seems like what i could be facing. Maybe its not my headgasket, maybe its rings that need to be
replace.....? dunno, maybe im just thinking to hard.
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 8:11 pm

bbsquad11 wrote:
I thought about something and now its kind of in my mind.... could my engine possibly be having a blow-by affect on it..
i read some symptons and it seems like what i could be facing. Maybe its not my headgasket, maybe its rings that need to be

You diagnose that problem by doing a compression test and cylinder leak down test while the head is together on the block..
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 9:52 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:

You diagnose that problem by doing a compression test and cylinder leak down test while the head is together on the block..

What tool do you use for a compression test. and where?>
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 9:56 pm

bbsquad11 wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:

Its called a compression tester and a cylinder leak down tester......lol.. One is a pressure gauge, and the other one applies pressure to the cylinder.. If you have no idea how to do those which it sounds like you dont.. Dont do it.. get it done by a GOOD mechanic.. its easy to get hurt or damage something if you dont do those tests right

BTW.. You need to make an intro for yourself in the Introductions section..
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 10:04 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:

Its called a compression tester and a cylinder leak down tester......lol.. One is a pressure gauge, and the other one applies pressure to the cylinder.. If you have no idea how to do those which it sounds like you dont.. Dont do it.. get it done by a GOOD mechanic.. its easy to get hurt or damage something if you dont do those tests right

BTW.. You need to make an intro for yourself in the Introductions section..

yeah i will, sorry. but I have a buddy who knows how to do that. so I'll ask him for a hand or two.
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 3:34 am

or as i stated, it could be something very plain and simple... im just saying this because the issue i had on hs. everyone ran me around in circles had my head spinning thinking my hg was bad, well guess what. i tore everything down. and it turned out it wasnt my hg, it was a thermometer and a bad oil sending unit...

thats why i am telling you not to get your mind set on internal damages.
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 3:54 am

xjoshx wrote:
or as i stated, it could be something very plain and simple... im just saying this because the issue i had on hs. everyone ran me around in circles had my head spinning thinking my hg was bad, well guess what. i tore everything down. and it turned out it wasnt my hg, it was a thermometer and a bad oil sending unit...

thats why i am telling you not to get your mind set on internal damages.

okay sounds good. thanks for all the help. I will be waiting for my headgasket to come in and hopefuly get some headwork done as well. i'll keep this posted.
Back to top Go down
JDM CB7
regular
JDM CB7

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 4:30 am

i didnt suggest to do head i only suggested a place IF he needed the head rebuilt and/or refinished, sand blasted
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 am

ik, chris just came out leading this guy into thinking he had internal problems....

it could be all kinds of things, bad rings, bad injectors, bad fuel pump, clogged lines. bad o2 sensors. etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:16 am

just to through it out there.. can bad o2 sensor really lead to the car bogging like this? because the pins came off my plug for the o2 sensor and i just random put them back in...?
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 am

bbsquad11 wrote:
just to through it out there.. can bad o2 sensor really lead to the car bogging like this? because the pins came off my plug for the o2 sensor and i just random put them back in...?

the pins? u would have a cel if your o2 sensor was unplugged... sometimes u can have an old, or defective o2 sensor and it wont throw a cel right away.... or only throw them when u drive for a while at highway speeds... it can cause it to run too rich or too lean. too rich can lead to major problems... not sure if it will feel liek bogging... and too lean will have very noticable power loss. i ran my car 1 week with a bad o2 sensor running too lean. and it ran like shit. i could floor it, and i was driving granny speed lol

also... if you didnt know, during winter months gas stations use a winter blend of gasoline that is less combustable.... not to mention a cold temp outside all can affect the power of your vehicle.

Last edited by xjoshx on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:15 am

xjoshx wrote:
bbsquad11 wrote:

the pins? u would have a cel if your o2 sensor was unplugged... sometimes u can have an old, or defective o2 sensor and it wont throw a cel right away.... or only throw them when u drive for a while at highway speeds... it can cause it to run too rich or too lean. too rich can lead to major problems... not sure if it will feel liek bogging... and too lean will have very noticable power loss. i ran my car 1 week with a bad o2 sensor running too lean. and it ran like shit. i could floor it, and i was driving granny speed lol

you last statement, thats what im feeling as well, i can floor it but im getting nowhere? can you describe what running rich and lean means//?
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:22 am

basically from my understanding your o2 sensor detects how much oxygen is in your exhaust, and has a set "gasoline to air ratio".

"It turns out that there is a particular ratio of air and gasoline that is "perfect," and that ratio is 14.7:1 (different fuels have different perfect ratios -- the ratio depends on the amount of hydrogen and carbon found in a given amount of fuel). If there is less air than this perfect ratio, then there will be fuel left over after combustion. This is called a rich mixture. Rich mixtures are bad because the unburned fuel creates pollution. If there is more air than this perfect ratio, then there is excess oxygen. This is called a lean mixture. A lean mixture tends to produce more nitrogen-oxide pollutants, and, in some cases, it can cause poor performance and even engine damage."

if you have a bad o2 sensor, it can throw your vehicle off... the o2 sensor will help your car determine how much gasoline:air your engine needs, the bad o2 sensor can be detecting that your engine needs less gas, and more air. which can cause it to run lean.... or with too little gas, even if thats not the case.

simply put, the o2 sensor tells your car how much gas to burn. if your o2 sensor is bad, and thinks your car is burning too much gas, it will tell it to burn less, causing your engine to run poorly..

and as i said before. check your timing.... make sure your tdc lines up perfect.... because even a couple notches off will have a very very very noticable power difference, your car will have the power of a moped
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:25 am

xjoshx wrote:
basically from my understanding your o2 sensor detects how much oxygen is in your exhaust, and has a set "gasoline to air ratio".

"It turns out that there is a particular ratio of air and gasoline that is "perfect," and that ratio is 14.7:1 (different fuels have different perfect ratios -- the ratio depends on the amount of hydrogen and carbon found in a given amount of fuel). If there is less air than this perfect ratio, then there will be fuel left over after combustion. This is called a rich mixture. Rich mixtures are bad because the unburned fuel creates pollution. If there is more air than this perfect ratio, then there is excess oxygen. This is called a lean mixture. A lean mixture tends to produce more nitrogen-oxide pollutants, and, in some cases, it can cause poor performance and even engine damage."

if you have a bad o2 sensor, it can throw your vehicle off... the o2 sensor will help your car determine how much gasoline:air your engine needs, the bad o2 sensor can be detecting that your engine needs less gas, and more air. which can cause it to run lean.... or with too little gas, even if thats not the case.

simply put, the o2 sensor tells your car how much gas to burn. if your o2 sensor is bad, and thinks your car is burning too much gas, it will tell it to burn less, causing your engine to run poorly..

and as i said before. check your timing.... make sure your tdc lines up perfect.... because even a couple notches off will have a very very very noticable power difference, your car will have the power of a moped

alrighty, thanks. I will do. To bad its getting cold out in the mid-west weather....
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:30 am

you can take your car to autozone and they will scan your ecu for free for codes.... as i stated before, when i had catastrophic head damage, my check engine light instantly came on... right now, i place my bet on your tdc being off a tooth, or a failure in your fuel system.

if you have problems checking tdc, or dont know how. just line up the crankshaft to the marks on the cover, snap a picture, then snap a picture on the back side of the cam gear.... the should literally line up perfectly every time they rotate.
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 am

xjoshx wrote:
you can take your car to autozone and they will scan your ecu for free for codes.... as i stated before, when i had catastrophic head damage, my check engine light instantly came on... right now, i place my bet on your tdc being off a tooth, or a failure in your fuel system.

I'll check my tdc and fuel system. Last time i brought the car to autozone, my engine check light was on for vtec because it wasn't wired. but yeah I'll check everything. like I said before i remember pulling off my harness when doing the head forgetting to unplug 02 sensor and the pins came out, when i replugged it i just stuck them in randomly. my gas was low so i gas up 1/4 drove and it went to e within minutes of driving....
Back to top Go down
JDM CB7
regular
JDM CB7

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:08 am

i have my o2 sensor bypassed and still runs good
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:52 am

is your vtec still unhooked? and what Ecu are you running?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next