GreatLakesAccords.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bbsquad11

New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket Empty
PostSubject: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 7:07 pm

To begin, I'm new this Great Lakes Accords, and please to meet everyone on here.

background knowledge on the car:
Purchase the car in February 2011, I bought it from a friend of mine. The accord is a 1996 accord lx with a obd1 f22b1 swap. When i purchased it from him it had a idle problem, idle around 1 rpm - 2rpm... until warms up. he said it was just either a iacv problem or low on coolant. Which later found out the car needed a head gasket. The engine oil was milky like chocolate milk. note: when driving the car, the car never bogged and i am running on the right ecu.

I began to work on the head gasket and came to find out the head was no longer is usable condition because the spark plugs were seized in along with spark plugs. -hard to describe but can show pictures if needed- I got another used head from my buddy which i eventually slap on the block. I always switch the manifold+injectors from the old one, and used h22 spark plug wires that were available to me. change all gasket, tb, manifold (intake+exhaust), egr, etc...)

started the car up and it ran but still idle from 1rpm-1.3 when driving in 1st gear at low rpm it will bogg like crazy and thrust till you shift gears to 2nd, but s2nd will do the same.. until you get to 3rd. once you enter 4th it sometimes feels like there is no acceleration..

so I unplug the iacv, and there is no idle.. steady right at 1rpm. if i cover the top hole in the throttle body it runs smooth at 700rpm.. where it should be at.

can anyone possible help me figure out what could be the situation, and if i miss anything lmk/.? or if i didnt explain something well lmk/.?
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 am

who installed the new head? because to me it sounds like it wasnt timed correctly, or skipped a tooth. go back and make sure your tdc lines up correctly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JoshuaPrince91
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 6:56 pm

I installed it myself... but I dont think i did anything wrong, did exactly what my manual states. I changed the injectors today.. and realize after i change them i am now leaking fuel? so i should probably go back to other injectors again
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:01 pm

did you check the tdc????

when your timing is off, even a tooth or 2. your car will run like shit, like its bogged down. it will give NO power. and could bend your valves.
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm

xjoshx wrote:

when your timing is off, even a tooth or 2. your car will run like shit, like its bogged down. it will give NO power. and could bend your valves.

Havent check timing, will do that tomorrow. but when the car is running you can hear a tick from the valve cover.. is it possible i already have bend valves.
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:26 pm

bbsquad11 wrote:
xjoshx wrote:

Havent check timing, will do that tomorrow. but when the car is running you can hear a tick from the valve cover.. is it possible i already have bend valves.

no, our cars are notorious for the "tick" its valve lash timing, mine is actually terrible, i drove it into a honda dealership and talked with the foreman of the garage, he said there is little to no power loss, and it is nothing to worry about. just an annoyance more than anything. if you bend your valves it should throw a cel (not positive, when i broke my camshaft i threw a cel instantly)... and you will be pushing your car home....
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Yeah, I have some pics of the head before i put it, wasnt sure if anything was wrong with this pic
New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket Valve_10

but yeah, I was just thinking of redo the whole thingy and maybe buy a new head off ebay for $269.99
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:05 pm

valves look fine to me as far as pic goes, unless the cam is out of it... but.., as far as being bent, they can be bent and not self destruct your motor.. Remember, with stuff like that, the clearances come down to thousands of an inch.. it could be bent and maybe never be able to tell that it is with your eyes
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:19 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
valves look fine to me as far as pic goes, unless the cam is out of it... but.., as far as being bent, they can be bent and not self destruct your motor.. Remember, with stuff like that, the clearances come down to thousands of an inch.. it could be bent and maybe never be able to tell that it is with your eyes

yeah i dont really know what to do frm this point; but i'll keep trying to diagnose this problem. i think i should probably start by redoing the headgasket agian. =/
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:28 pm

if you say it runs fine when you cover the hole on the TB.. You could just redneck engineer it and put something over the hole to keep it covered permanently Evil or Very Mad JK man dont do that
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:38 pm

bbsquad11 wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:

yeah i dont really know what to do frm this point; but i'll keep trying to diagnose this problem. i think i should probably start by redoing the headgasket agian. =/

you could have also warped the head putting it back on.

take it to a mechanic, a real one..... i believe carx will tell you whats wrong for free. but i warn you, they will overprice the repair largely,

my suggestion, take your car to carx. have them tell you whats wrong, and shop around for a place to fix it.....

Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:45 pm

josh u say take it to a real mechanic, then say go to carx? lol take it to a machine shop that specializes in head work, not a bunch of oil changing high school grads

Edit*-- Take it to a machine shop if you already got the head off.. if the engine is still assembled and drivable, take it to the dealer.. dont ever trust a carx, midas, firestone, or any other quick change shop to fix internal engine components.. All they do anyways is charge you to take the parts off, and then take it to a machine shop anyways..
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 pm

sounds good.. its still drivable but just a bit loud. but anyways, i'll keep you guys posted.
Back to top Go down
JDM CB7
regular
JDM CB7

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 1:59 am

bbsquad11 wrote:
I installed it myself... but I dont think i did anything wrong, did exactly what my manual states. I changed the injectors today.. and realize after i change them i am now leaking fuel? so i should probably go back to other injectors again

check o-rings for injectors might be ripped
Back to top Go down
JDM CB7
regular
JDM CB7

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 am

if your in chicago i know a good cheap shop called cylinder head express if you take the head in the morning they will have it rebuilt/sand blasted and ready to go by closing time and prices are mostly from 150-200
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:07 am

Wow sounds like a good price, I live in central Wi. so Yeah its about a 4 hour drive to Chicago. I will be checking injectors and O rings today again... When i started up my car this morning to let it run for good 5 min, I opened up the hood and saw a puddle of gasoline around my manifold area by the egr...How can I be leaking gasoline that bad?
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 1:39 pm

SiRWannabe wrote:
josh u say take it to a real mechanic, then say go to carx? lol take it to a machine shop that specializes in head work, not a bunch of oil changing high school grads

Edit*-- Take it to a machine shop if you already got the head off.. if the engine is still assembled and drivable, take it to the dealer.. dont ever trust a carx, midas, firestone, or any other quick change shop to fix internal engine components.. All they do anyways is charge you to take the parts off, and then take it to a machine shop anyways..

no take it to carx to have them tell you whats wrong. its free. then take it to a real mechanic and have them fix it. theres more reliable and trustworthy shops than just the dealers, and a machine shop isnt going to tell you whats wrong with your engine.
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Dont think we have a carx in wausau, wi...?
but i'll take alook around
anyone selling a b1 harness though? my harness is kind of ghetto rig i believe
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:12 pm

xjoshx wrote:
SiRWannabe wrote:

no take it to carx to have them tell you whats wrong. its free. then take it to a real mechanic and have them fix it. theres more reliable and trustworthy shops than just the dealers, and a machine shop isnt going to tell you whats wrong with your engine.

Carx cant diagnose internal engine problems...let alone anything else.. the most they can do is pull a code and tell you what it is....a machine shop can tear apart a head and measure everything and put it back together.. good luck with that anywhere else and getting done properly.. It dont matter where you take it.. if there is a problem with the head its gonna end up at a machine shop in the end anyways so why waste the money, just go right to the machine shop with your head and have them inspect it and fix it.. and a dealer is the better option if your doing heavy engine work because even though they will charge more, their work is warrantied

Or just source another good working head

and yeah as far as fuel leaking, the injectors probably are not seated in correctly or the o rings are torn as Israel stated..

And BBsquad, dont put your focus into what josh thinks he knows.. He's a nurse lol Evil or Very Mad..... I do this for a living, and went to school for it.
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:51 pm

yea, ill just say that and leave it pg tonight because im really in a pissed off mood as it is.
Back to top Go down
JDM CB7
regular
JDM CB7

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 am

carx is reject mechanics who couldnt afford to go to school or just dont care, they wont be able to really tell you what wrong they will just guess or b.s. u to get money but as i was saying yes that is a good price so if you dont mind coming to the city for a weekend i can show u where the place is IF u want its entirely up to YOU on what YOU want to do with YOUR head lol.......

and cylinder head express is a great shop i know a shit load of ppl with honda's and nissan's that take their shit there their great priced and they warranty their work and they get it done in 2 days or less
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:38 pm

xjoshx wrote:
yea, ill just say that and leave it pg tonight because im really in a pissed off mood as it is.

Lol.. U mad bro?
Back to top Go down
xjoshx
xjoshx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 2:11 am

both of you are suggesting he gets headwork done.......neither of u know if its an internal problem, or a simple fix...

it could be as simple as bad injectors, bad fuel pump, or maybe a fuel filter.

carx is free. it is for advice, nothing more. they will be able to offer better advice than any of us because they can actually see your vehicle. and see what it is doing, whereas, all we have is a description
Back to top Go down
bbsquad11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 9:51 am

I do plan on getting headwork done properly hopefully soon; possibly this week. I currently am waiting on my headgasket to come in since I did have a warrenty on it. I was told I should use copper spray on the headgasket this time. I would love to go to chicago and find all the good shops there, but I just recieve a whole lot of mandatory OT I got to do for the holidaes. But just curious again, do any of you guys have f22b1 harness they can laying around?
Back to top Go down
SiRWannabe
SiRWannabe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:09 am

bbsquad11 wrote:
I do plan on getting headwork done properly hopefully soon; possibly this week. I currently am waiting on my headgasket to come in since I did have a warrenty on it. I was told I should use copper spray on the headgasket this time. I would love to go to chicago and find all the good shops there, but I just recieve a whole lot of mandatory OT I got to do for the holidaes. But just curious again, do any of you guys have f22b1 harness they can laying around?

What did you put on your headgasket before? Because nothing should be put on the head gasket when it is installed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket   New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member, and I have a issue with recently changed head gasket
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next